During the past 500 years the inhabitants of upper Warley township have buried the great majority of their dead in one of seven local burial grounds. The first and largest of these burial grounds to be consecrated was at Luddenden St. Mary’s Church (1624). Three more burial grounds were later established in the upper section of Warley township – those at Booth Independent Church (1785), Luddenden Dean Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (1828) and Wainstalls Mount Pleasant Methodist Chapel (1856).
Additionally, three burial grounds located in Ovenden township became the final resting place for a substantial number of deceased from upper Warley. These are Moor End United Reformed Church (1717), Ogden Mount Zion Chapel (1773) and Mount Tabor Methodist Church (1820).
Four of the above burial grounds have dedicated pages on this website. Three of the burial grounds are within Warley township; Luddenden St. Mary’s Church, Luddenden Dean Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and Wainstalls Mount Pleasant Methodist Chapel. The burial ground at the celebrated Ogden Mount Zion Chapel in Ovenden township completes the number.
Currently there is content available for two of these burial grounds – Luddenden Dean Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and Ogden Mount Zion Chapel.